Everybody enjoys pancakes! Although there is a common tradition among South Africans to have pancakes in rainy weather with cinnamon sugar this is not where it needs to stop. This recipe can be used in the traditional way but we recommend having this with your favourite Confate jam, fresh fruit and cream. Serve as a summer breakfast or as a dessert after a hearty meal. Tell us in the comment section what is your favourite way of enjoying pancakes.
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Milk
- ½ cup Sunflower Oil
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Spirit Vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, water, milk, oil and vinegar.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix until well incorporated. You should have a thin batter.
- In a large frying pan heat about 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the pan and the oil is hot reduce the oil to about 1 teaspoon. You can add the excess oil in a cup to use during the baking process.
- Pour enough of the pancake batter in the frying pan to cover the bottom. This should be a thin layer. Try to not add too much batter as this will result in thick tacky pancakes.
- Bake until the pancake starts to loosen from the bottom of the pan. Flip with a spatula or egg lifter and bake on the other side until done.
- After each pancake add another teaspoon of oil to the frying pan and heat before adding the next batter. Repeat the process until all the pancakes are baked.
- Serve warm with your favourite Confate jam, fresh fruit of your choice and a dollop of cream.
View all our recipes
Get your custom ingredients from our online store!